Below are the important stages and questions you should consider when evaluating and selecting a new financial accounting solution:
Accounting System Software Evaluation & Selection Stages
Stage A – Initial considerations
- Why should our business consider new accounting system software?
- What are the risks to the organisation of taking no action?
- Are there opportunities to co-ordinate this change with other projects (i.e. a server upgrade)?
- Who are the key sponsors that should be consulted during the process?
Stage B- Understand the business case
- What are our business requirements relating to accounting system software?
- What are our resource and time constraints?
- What future business changes should we consider?
- What are the key technical restrictions or necessities?
Stage C – Preparing a vendor shortlist
- What accounting systems are successful in my sector?
- Can I get a demo of the software in situ?
- Where can I research my potential vendors?
- What questions should I ask a vendor during the process?
- What types of questions and assurances should I expect from a vendor?
Stage D – Steps prior to selection
- Follow a recognised selection process.
- Build selection team with a vested interest- but stick to key personnel.
- Focus on your specialist processes and requirements. The standard features and functions should be a “given” for most accounting system software.
For a more comprehensive evaluation of your accounting system software needs, download this Finance System Functional Requirements document provided by FinanSys Ltd.
Best-of-breed applications, predominantly mid-tier packages, allow organisations to benefit from a highly functional accounting system, without the burden and expense of a full-blown Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) platform. For a more information on a world class Financial Management System from a leading implementation partner, please get in touch with FinanSys